I spend a lot of time in this house feeding people. And by the time dinner rolls around the last thing that I want to do is go back into the kitchen and prepare a hot dinner!!!! So the quicker the dinner, the better. Now in summer one of my favourite and healthiest dinners is a quick wrap. Salad, tuna or simple ham and cheese. But now that the weather is getting cooler I’ve decided that quesadillas will replace wraps. Plus it sounds so much more exotic. Do you want a wrap or do you want a quesadillaaaaaaa?
Now it’s been a while since I’ve made them. The last time was when I made Pioneer Woman’s chicken quesadillas here. Now for the adults I’ve made a vegetarian quesadilla using one of my favourite combinations. Spinach and feta. And these which taste so much like my favourite gozleme that I just needed some lemon wedges. And for the kids? The good old ham, cheese and pineapple. Hawaiian quesadilla. You can’t go wrong with that combination when it comes to kids.
Emerson has been really sick with an ear infection so I prepared this dinner with him in a sling on me (not a good idea if you want to take a photo at the same time). Then I passed him on to retro daddy and I got stuck into frying them up. And they are so easy! A couple of packets of tortillas, some basic ingredients, a frypan and you’re all set! And retro daddy (always the accountant) was working out the cost of the dinner and it’s budget friendly too. Especially if you picked up the tortillas on special like he did.
- 2 packets tortillas (I went for a medium size)
- cheese slices or grated cheddar
- pineapple rings
- small box frozen spinach
- 200g danish feta
- salt, pepper
- jar of salsa (optional)
- take a tortilla and lay it on a plate, top with cheese, ham and a pineapple ring. Top with another tortilla.
- Heat up a frypan with about a tablespoon of oil. When hot lay in the tortilla and move it around the fry pan to soak up the oil.
- Fry a couple of minutes on one side, when golden (not burnt!) turn it over and if you need to add a dash more oil.
- Turn onto a plate and cut into quarters. Serve with salsa if you like
- For the spinach and feta version, place spinach in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for a few minutes until defrosted.
- Place spinach in a clean teatowel and wring out the excess liquid.
- Tip out spinach into a clean bowl, add in feta and mix with a fork. Season well.
- Divide mixture amongst 3 tortillas and spread out towards the edges. Top with another tortilla and fry each up in a little bit of oil.
- They only need a couple of minutes on each side and you might have to turn down the heat if they start to burn a little. And keep adding a little oil (you could also use butter if you prefer) before you start another quesadilla.
- Enjoy. I know this will become a favourite in your house.