Ladies, you know how it goes. You slave over a hot stove, you’re trying something different or with a few steps and you’re feeling pretty proud of yourself. And then someone comes to the table and turns their nose up at it. Well that is how last night went when I made donna hay’s BLT spaghetti. The recipe comes from her latest book, Simple Dinnners which I picked up at Big W for $20 (man I love a good buy). The book is really good and we’ve made 3 dinners from it so far in a week. I’d say that’s a good cookbook.
retro daddy comes over to the island, turns his nose up ‘ Oh. I thought you were making a tomato sauce. Oh. it has little tomatoes in it’
- 400g spaghetti
- 4-6 slices bacon (rindless)
- 250g punnet/truss cherry tomatoes
- 250ml light pouring cream
- handful basil leaves, torn
- 1-2 cups of baby rocket and spinach
- ¼ cup parmesan, grated
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and cook your spaghetti.
- While the water is boiling place bacon and tomatoes on baking sheets lined with baking paper and roast for about 15-20 minutes in a 200 degree oven.
- Slice bacon thickly and place into a bowl with tomatoes.
- Drain spaghetti and add cream and parmesan to the saucepan with the spaghetti. Mix well and add in bacon, tomatoes, basil, rocket and spinach and combine. Season well and serve with extra parmesan. So good.
- And have a play around with it too. I added sauteed red onion the next night and it was delicious.