I wasn’t really in the mood for baking while pregnant but seem to be making up for lost time now that little lawson is here. And so I spend quite a bit of money on gluten free dairy free cookies for preschool lunchboxes at the start of the week and decided that it was definitely time to make my own recipe and do cookies for preschool. And so here I have for you……………..lunchbox cookies.
These aren’t melt in your mouth buttery cookies but were gobbled up by everyone and you’ll get 3 trays of cookies from one batch of dough which I think is fabulous as nothing ever lasts in this house. Now you won’t need anything fancy to make these and can find all of these ingredients at your local supermarket.
And you can add whatever you like to the dough or keep it as is. I did a tray plain and then added some choc chips for the rest of the kids. And please read the labels if you are making for gluten free/dairy free diets. I have tried the Sweet William choc chips which you can find at the supermarket and they are gluten and dairy free and would be great in these cookies.
Now I like to freeze some of my dough and it’s so easy to do. Just place some of your dough in the centre of a sheet of baking paper and twist both ends in opposite directions and in no time you’ll have a sausage of cookie dough all ready to pop in your freezer. I like to slice it while frozen and bake for perfectly round cookies.
- 125g dairy free margarine
- 1 cup raw sugar
- ½ rind of an orange or lemon
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 350g gluten free plain flour
- 1 cup sultanas or gluten free/dairy free choc chips
- Slice off rind in strips from ½ an orange or lemon. Place in thermomix bowl with sugar and process 10 seconds speed 9.
- Add in margarine, eggs, maple syrup and process 10 seconds speed 4.
- Add in flour in 2 batches and process 20 seconds speed 4 each time with a scrape down of the sides in between.
- Add in sultanas or choc chips and process 15-20 seconds on closed lid setting and knead function.
- Roll dough into small balls and place on a lined baking/cookie tray, Press down on each cookie with a fork and bake for about 20 minutes in a 180C oven until cookies are lightly brown on top. Leave to cool a few minutes on the cookie tray then place on a cooling rack.
- These won't last long.
- If you don't have a thermomix then grate your rind and add to sugar, cream the sugar and margarine then add in the eggs and syrup and mix well before adding in the flour. Make sure the flour is mixed through evenly and then you can add sultanas or choc chips or whatever you like and bake at the above temperature.