I loved this dinner so much that I wish we were having it again tonight. Six out of seven of us ate this up and a few of us had seconds….including Emerson! I take that as success especially since vegetables were involved. Meanwhile elodie ate one piece and ended up with a vegemite sandwich on her favourite bread.
I am usually missing cheese on my pasta lately but the flavours in this dish are so delicious that you won’t be missing anything. Mind you if you really love cheese just add some grated cheese before serving to each dish. The kids didn’t miss the cheese in this dish and I don’t think they would have known I’d made this dish just for elodie.
Enjoy…………I also love broccoli with pesto too. A great combination and just swap out the zucchini for broccoli florets and you’ve got another winning dinner. Enjoy……………….
- 1 nice big bunch of basil
- 2 -3 cloves garlic
- about 50g pinenuts
- about 100g raw cashews
- good quality olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 500g gluten free pasta (read the label if making as gluten and dairy free to ensure the pasta is suitable)
- 2 zucchinis, washed and thinly sliced
- Remove basil leaves from stems and rinse well. Place in bowl of thermomix with peeled garlic cloves and nuts and process on speed 7 for 20 seconds. Scrape down bowl and process on speed 5 and with the motor running add some olive oil.
- You can make this in a food processor or blender just keep blending till you've got the right consistency.
- Be generous with your olive oil.. You can add more as you season as well until you get the right consistency. I don't like mine too oily but I like it to be easy to distribute in the pasta.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, taste and then season. I mix for another 10 seconds on speed 4 after seasoning to check how it tastes. I find without the cheese I needed more salt than usual.
- Boil pasta and in the last 2 minutes of cooking time add in the zucchini (or any vegetable will do).
- Drain pasta, add in your pesto, serve and enjoy.