Now for me, eggs and cheese just go together. Omelette and frittata always need cheese in them but since I’ve been doing a few recipes without the cheese I haven’t missed it. Too much. OK, give me a while and I’ll be hanging out for some danish feta or vintage cheddar.
I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel with this recipe, yes this is a variation on a zucchini slice with bacon but I wanted to make it a bit more substantial and the lentils do that perfectly. This is really delicious and reminded of pea and ham soup………….in a slice. Great for lunch, dinner or lunchboxes and keira was excited to have it for her afternoon tea today…..and that is saying something. Retro daddy enjoyed two big slices for dinner and said I must tell you all that he really loved it and it’s very good! So there.
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 zucchini
- 1 capsicum
- 1 carrot
- 3-4 rasher bacon (rind and fat removed)
- 4 eggs
- 1 can lentils, drained
- ½ -3/4 cup gluten free flour
- handful flat leaf parsley
- handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Peel garlic cloves and place in thermomix or food processor with bacon. Process until finely chopped. I do this in my thermomix for 10 seconds, speed 6 and scrape down.
- If you have a thermomix then saute for 3 minutes, 100 degrees and speed 1.
- Add in vegetables roughly chopped and process for about 8 seconds speed 6.
- Add in eggs, lentils, flour and parsley and process 10 seconds speed 3. You don’t want to go higher than speed 3 or you’ll start chopping the lentils.
- **Pour into a lined round cake tin, top with the cherry tomatoes and bake about 35-40 minutes in a 200C/400F oven.
- If you don’t have a thermomix then finely chop/crush the garlic and saute with bacon in some oil for a few minutes. Add in grated zucchini, capsicum and carrot and combine. Add in beaten eggs, flour and parsley and mix well. Follow from **
- If you’re vegetarian leave out the bacon and enjoy.