So we asked the twins what they would like for their birthday dinner last weekend! You know, special request, best dish I make and all of that. And what did they ask for? Tuna macaroni. Yep. Just good old tuna macaroni. I should be flattered, over the years I’ve perfected the old tuna macaroni and here is how they like it. Thermomix and no thermomix versions. It won’t win masterchef but it’s very popular in this house and if everyone eats it then that makes it a winner in my books………………I must also admit that when I’m pregnant this is one of my favourite dinners.
now you can grate your own cheese in the thermomix but I just love cheese on the good old fashioned grater AND I love eating it this way too. Especially a good vintage cheddar. Yum yum.
this is white sauce in the thermomix, just 7 minutes and you walk away and do something else! I must make this at least once a week for the little ones!
and would you look at this birthday boy, after eating his delicious tuna macaroni he said I can make it next year for his birthday too. Bless him!
- 400g pasta, cooked
- 50g butter
- 50g flour
- 500mls milk
- 1 or 2 cups grated cheese (I love vintage cheddar)
- 400g tuna in oil (I just love Sirena tuna)
- mustard, salt, pepper to season
- Cook pasta as you normally would and you want it al dente.
- Place butter, flour and milk in thermomix bowl and cook for 7 minutes at 100 degrees on speed 4.
- Add in cheese, mustard (I do 1-2 tablespoons), pepper and process 10 seconds speed 4.
- Place the tuna in your thermoserve bowl and break up with a fork. I drain most of the oil (not all) before this. Pour in the cheese sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the cooked and drained pasta and enjoy.
- For something a bit special place into a greased baking dish, top with another cup of grated cheese and bake in a 180 degrees oven until the cheese has melted and is golden. This is really popular with the kids BUT they usually want to it eat it straight away and can't wait. My dad was a fan of crumbling Thins chips and adding that to cheese before it went in the oven.
- **If you don't have a thermomix then place butter in a saucepan and almost melt it all, now stir in the flour and mix well.
- Bring to a bubble and then add in the milk and whisk well. Turn down the heat to a low/medium and keep stirring until the sauce thickens. You want it to coat the back of the spoon and be a nice thick white sauce.
- Add in cheese, mustard and season. Add in the tuna and pasta and enjoy.