I made this year last year and forgot to blog it! Added it to this week’s meal plan and realised I better share it. I usually find making lasagne and freezing it is a great way to take a meal to another family. Because I’ve been making so many lasagnes lately I decided to try something new. Spaghetti pie! It’s a winner!
If I’m making this for another large family I would make this up in a foil container and assemble it all ready to go in the oven then I would wrap up in foil and freeze. I then like to write the cooking instructions on the alfoil and a separate piece of paper too. So for example you might say defrost or part defrost then cook in a 180C oven for at least 30 minutes or something like that.
On this particular day I was making single portions for a lady so I made a big dish for our family and divided up half into small containers and that way they can just be defrosted and reheated.
If you have a thermomix you could make the bolagnese sauce as per the thermomix recipe and a double batch of white sauce. On this particular weekend my dear old thermomix was having the scales fixed so I was doing it old school. I hope you enjoy this one and if you don’t then your kids will:)
- 500g pack spaghetti
- 1 egg
- olive oil
- onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1kg mince
- 2x 700g passata bottles
- herbs (I used parsley and basil)
- salt and pepper
- tomato sauce
- White sauce
- 3 tsp butter
- 3Tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups grated cheese (1 for sauce and 1 topping)
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil. Add in the and mince and brown.
- Add in passata, salt, pepper and herbs (fresh or dried).
- Bring to the boil then simmer for at least 30-40 minutes. Set aside.
- Boil pasta and while the water is boiling for your pasta you want to start the white sauce so both will be ready at the same time.
- To make the white sauce mix your butter and flour until they slightly bubble, whisk in the milk and keep whisking until the butter and flour has mixed in. Gently heat and keep stirring until sauce has thickened. Season well and mix in 1 cup of cheese. Stir and taste. Season if necessary.
- Add half of the white sauce to your cooked and drained spaghetti. Add the egg to the other half of the white sauce.
- In a large lasagne dish pour the bolagnese mixture into the bottom of the dish. Top with the cooked spaghetti (make sure you added ½ the white sauce) and then top with the reserved white sauce (make sure you added the egg) and top with the extra cup of cheese.
- Heat in 180 degrees oven until cheese is golden and bubbling on top.