Rainy days in the school holidays just call out for some baking. And when it comes to dessert and sweet treats I love anything with lemon. Sadly no lemons are ready to pick off our trees just yet so with 4 lemons from the supermarket and a pantry full of ingredients I wanted to make lemon slice.
This tastes so much like lemon meringue pie that I’ve made it twice and love it. We made it gluten free by using gluten free flour (that is a cup for cup substitute) but you can use plain flour instead without any problems.
This is a great recipe for your little egg crackers too! My little miss elodie loves to crack all of our eggs and has got it down pat. It’s also a great activity for counting the lemons and eggs. Ok we just love baking and using it to teach numbers and important skills:)
The hardest part will be leaving it to cool before you slice it but you can do it. I actually had a little corner then popped in the fridge to help it cool down so I could take a photo….and eat it as soon as I could!
- 185g (3/4 Cup) raw sugar or caster sugar
- 200g butter, cubed
- 260g gluten free flour (about 2 scant cups) (we used white wings)
- 275g raw or caster sugar (about 1½ cups)
- 55g gluten free flour (about ¼ cup) (we used white wings)
- 3-4 good sized lemons, juiced
- 4 eggs
- icing sugar to serve (make sure it's pure icing sugar if making gluten free)
- Line a lamington tin with some baking paper. You could also use a small foil tray about the same size. I like lining with baking paper so I can lift the slice out when cool.
- If using your thermomix then place raw sugar in TM bowl and process speed 9 for 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Place butter in TM bowl and melt for 2 minutes, 100 degrees, speed 1. Add in flour and sugar and combine speed 4 for 20 seconds. Scrape down and process another 10 seconds.
- Tip into a lined lamington tin and press down with your fingers.
- Bake in a 180 C oven for about 20 minutes until lightly golden. Carefully remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly. I just set my oven timer for 20 minutes and made the filling
- To make the filling juice the lemons. Make caster sugar by processing the raw sugar on speed 9 for 10 seconds. Add in lemon juice, eggs, flour and process 20 seconds speed 4 scraping down the bowl once in between.
- **When your base has cooled slightly pour the filling over the top and bake for about 20 minutes in a 175-180C oven until the top has a bit of a wobble and looks cooked right through.
- Leave to cool complelely, yes I know this will be difficult for some of us then slice, dust with icing sugar and enjoy.
- if you are making the old school way or without a thermomix then start with the base and melt your butter and stir in the flour and sugar and press into the lined lamington tin. For the topping combine all topping ingredients and follow from **.
- Enjoy! If you find the filling too sweet leave out a little sugar the next time. Some people prefer a really tart slice but I love sweet with just a hint of tartness.