Ever since the twins came along I’ve learnt to use what I’ve got in the pantry….because it is hard work to pack everyone up into the car and head off to the shops for one or two ingredients. I would dream about the drive through store for milk, bread, toilet paper and a block of chocolate!!!! Anyway, it still doesn’t happen that I would get everyone in the car for an ingredient or two. And really it just makes sense to use what you have.
And so I had some sweetened condensed milk and I thought I had lemons so I decided I could rework a favourite of mine…lemon slice. Oh but then once I had all of the ingredients out I realised I had no lemons so it would be oranges. Anyway this is sweet and delicious. The girls went nuts for it (sweet tooth’s that they are) and it’s best cut when it’s been in the fridge for at least one hour. We didn’t last that long so the final photos were taken the next day.
this would be the ‘we couldn’t wait until it had been in the fridge’ photo…………… or as I’m going to call it ‘rustic slice’.
- 1½ cups desiccated coconut
- 1 cup plain gluten free flour (am loving white wings or macro)
- 100g unsalted butter
- ¾ can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups icing sugar ( I made mine from raw sugar)
- 40g softened butter or margarine
- 1 orange or 1 large (2 small) lemon/s, juiced
- In a saucepan melt the butter and sweetened condensed milk until the butter has just melted.
- Pour into the 1¼ cups coconut and flour and mix together.
- If your mixture feels very wet then add in the last ¼ cup of coconut. I found I needed that extra ¼ cup but everyone is different so see how you go.
- Press into a silicone lamington tin or a lamington tin lined with baking paper which makes it easier to lift out of the tin.
- Bake in a 180 degrees oven for about 10 minutes until golden on top. If your oven tends to be hotter then reduce heat slightly but you basically want the mixture to be cooked and lightly (ever so lightly golden).
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Make your icing sugar - I do this by placing 2 cups of raw sugar into my thermomix and processing on speed 9 for 30 seconds. Add in juice or a big lemon or an orange and softened butter (or margarine) and process for about 20 seconds speed 4. Scrape down and process for another 10 -20 seconds.
- You can do this in a food processor or just with a good old wooden spoon. Whatever you have.
- Spread onto the cooled base and sprinkle with more coconut
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, slice and enjoy.
- This can be made the day before and taken out to an event and will keep everyone happy.